what, why, how?
Who am I?
- Sakib Hadžiavdić
- Full stack(overflow) developer @ OliveBH
- Visit sake.ba for more cool stuff
- Check out Hepek static site generator
Bit of history
- Before 70's, software source was distributed freely, mostly among academia
- As OS-es became more expensive to make,
AT&T started to charge for UNIX, Microsoft for its stuff etc.
- 1983 IBM no longer distributed sources with purchased software
aka Richard Stallman
"Church of Emacs" vs
"VI VI VI is the editor of the beast"
- author/maintainer leads the project
in "right" direction
- everyone must respect project's licence and give author credit and money!
- contributors give back contributions
through Pull Requests
- others can fork it for free and continue in a different direction
- Better quality, better tested
- Reliable, secure, flexible
- Free choice, standards!
- MIT, BSD - very permissive, just don’t sue me
- Apache - same, plus can't (troll) patent this
- GPL - same, plus everything you make must be GPL!
Why get included?
- Improve your skills, communication, meet new people
- Be famous, important, influential
- Change the world...
- fork (copy project)
- clone (local copy of your copy)
- commit (save changes)
- push (push changes to your copy)
- pull request (request to include your changes to original project)
- merge (include your changes, if all right)
Fork/Copy the project
Fork - ta daaa
Clone the project
Clone... (local copy)
git clone https://github.com/sake92/focustube.git
Check if everything ok...
git add .
git commit -m "Make stuff awesome."
Push changes to your fork
git push origin master
Make a PR
(are you sure?)
Write appropriate explanation
Review and Merge changes
git remote add upstream https://github.com/TheAdnan/focustube.git
git fetch upstream
git merge upstream/master
Just to be sure:
git remote -v
git log --oneline
That's all forks!
Free software? Slobodan, ne nužno besplatan (freeware je besplatan)
~ same as Open Source software
Free software is software that comes with permission for anyone to use,
copy, and/or distribute, either verbatim or with modifications, either gratis or for a fee.
In particular, this means that source code must be available.
Free of charge? How to make money?
"Copyleft" refers to licenses that allow derivative works but require them to use the same license as the original work.
- Platforms and services (Wordpress, Pivotal...)
- Support, expertize (RedHat)
- Sell binaries/distros
Defenders say that YOU HAVE A CHOICE...
But do YOU read every License agreement? :D